AAGPBL Interview - Esther Ann Hershey
Esther played for the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League for the first part of 1948. She took the time to answer a few of our questions.
1) How did you get interested in playing baseball and where did you play before you turned pro?
I played for a small team in Honey Beach, PA. My dad read in our newspaper about tryouts for the AAGPBL in Allentown. I was one of five picked out of 75 girls. John Rawlings was the scout.
2) Describe your signing.
I signed in Max Caray's office.
3) What position(s) did you play? Which teams did you play for?
Played outfield for Springfield in 1948.
4) What was the best thing about playing pro ball?
Enjoyed the other players, lots of fun.
5) What was the worst thing about playing ball?
Can't think of anything.
6) What was the highlight of your career?
Spring training in Opa Locka, Florida.
7) Who were the best players you played with or faced? Comments?
All the players. They played hard and wanted to win.
8) Briefly describe your life since your pro career ended.
Got married and have a son and daughter. Also three grandchildren. Granddaughter into basketball and soccer.
What do you think of this article?
Leave feedback on our message board.