AAGPBL Interview - Cartha Doyle
Cartha played for the Rockford Peaches in 1947. The second basewoman granted us the following interview.
1) How did you get interested in playing baseball and where did you play before you turned pro?
I played in Rec League softball in Knoxville, Tennessee.
2) Describe your signing.
I went to Miami, Florida and tried out. The signed me to a contract.
3) What position(s) did you play? Which teams did you play for?
I played for the Rockford Peaches in 1947, second base.
4) What was the best thing about playing pro ball?
Getting to know so many people (players and fans) and playing for fun and money.
5) What was the worst thing about playing ball?
The long bus rides we took while playing pro ball.
6) What was the highlight of your career?
I had so many I couldn't guess which one was my highlight.
7) Who were the best players you played with or faced? Comments?
Dottie Kamenshek who played with Rockford, she could do it all.
8) Do you think the fans and press accepted you more as the years wore on? (Describe how it was when you started. Did increased exposure change some minds?)
Yes and yes.
9. Who were your favorite big league ballplayers during the era you played in?
My favorite baseball player was Lou Gehrig. I'm not sure I had a favorite while I played.
10) Do you follow big league ball now? If so, how do you think it compares with your day?
Yes, I think the players now are stronger than before. They are also making the bats and balls more lively.
11) Should women have their own pro league, should they play in the majors, or should we have both (a women's league and the chance for the best women players to play in the majors?)
12) How do you feel about the Silver Bullets?
They were pretty good ballplayers.
13) Briefly describe your life since your pro career ended.
I played softball for a number of years. After I quit playing I umpired softball games until my knees gave out. I also married and had one daughter.
14) What advice do you have for young women who want to become pro ballplayers?
Learn the game and play hard. Listen to and watch as many games as possible.15) Any other memories or comments?
Winning the second base position as a rookie with the Peaches was amazing.
What do you think of this article?
Leave feedback on our message board.